Just a small Report.
18th seemed like a day with limited support for severe weather. Shaun took the day off work, even though the conditions were not in our favour we headed out. The forecast had a low forming over dalby. So we thought our best bet was near toowoomba. After meeting up with 2 other guys we head off at about 1pm. We get on the highway and making some good time.
When we get near marburg there is a massive traffic backup due to the road being destoryed. It took us 30 or so minutes to get pass it by diverting down a side road.
As we head to toowoomba i see a couple anvils heading up around gatton. I decide we need to head back east as the structure had broke the cap and started to form weak storms. The problem is we were caught on the highway with no way to turn around. Approximately 10-15km later we get to turn around. We stop in gatton. Get something to eat quickly and check the radar. My call was for harrisville. We head to harrisville, but as we get to marburg area again. Another check of the radar brings up a decent cell heading towards whivenhoe. We stop for a little bit and keep an eye on the radar. We decide that is the best chance of seeing a storm so we headed up that way.
We now lose all our data connectivity so we are flying blind for a while until we get right next to the dam. We check the radar and we are looking in a good position. So we setup and wait with the cameras. We lose connectivity again. We we get some connection back we notice the storm decided to move south instead of it’s original path. So we step on it but we could not catch up to the fast moving storm. So we ended up calling it off soon after.
The storms had far from good structure this day. I would of not really chased if shaun didn’t take the day off. But it was still fun. Took a couple of OK pictures too. So lets hope the next chace is a winner :).
edit: Make sure you visit the link at the bottom for more images.
This is the prediction from yesterday which made us excited. -10’s you don’t see that often! Very severe super cells? So a an excited sleep was on the cards!
1:30pm i message my mate Rikki, “GAME ON” the cells started to explode down near texas. When the BOM image popped up with the dangerous storm icon i knew this was the one to go for!
After watching for a little while on the radar i figured our best chance was to head south. Boy was that decision right! We originally though Logan and beenleigh. As we head down to beenligh we pull off the highway and start trekking through the back streets to see if we can see a cell. After losing connection again to the radar (thanks vodafail).We started driving south towards tambourine. We took a back road and i knew something was wrong we were heading NORTH EAST Luckily i got Google maps back up and made us turn down a different highway. This highway, i dub the the most awesome of highways. It led us straight into the storm. Traveling down the highway we saw some dark cloud and rain , it wasn’t impressive.We decided to keep pushing south even though we lost radar once again. So we are cruising on gut instinct.
We see an interesting cloud formation and what was it, we knew we had to go get it even though we couldn’t see what it was properly. As we approached it became clear we were on to something. We saw the cloud getting lower. I yelled at rikki to slow down and see if we can get a side road somewhere it’s coming right at us now. What we saw was a photographers dream, a side road. A dam and a perfect view out of the storm.
We lucked out on the radar and the location We got there an pulled our gear out of the car and started taking photos. The clouds just starting rolling towards us.
The cloud dragged across the mountain tops. Suddenly it goes still and silent for a second. The wall cloud passes over head and then a very cold wind slams into us. I start snapping like a mad man getting what i could.
We hauled ass out of there as we knew hail was in this cell, we wanted to beat the wall cloud to get some more shots from the front so we stomped on the gas and drove.
We lost our navigation again, we took some side road and go stuck in a reservation. In some side roads. We were in the storm for 30 minutes or so in the very front of the storm. CG’s hitting right near our car every few seconds. Our luck ran out and we hit a dead end. We turned back around and started to drive back but the rain was intense and it started to hail.
We returned home after that, the word on the way home is our homes had the cell too and it hailed for a few minutes.
Awesome day Heres a link to MORE and BIGGER pics.